The Capilano Group of Companies is dedicated to environmental stewardship and aims to be a leader in the tourism industry.
All properties are situated in unique and beautiful areas of BC and Alberta, areas whose reputation generates visits and interest from all over the world. Environmental stewardship promotes and encourages superior environmental performance at all of the Capilano Group of Companies. By seeking to reduce the impact on the environment beyond measures required by governmental permit or rule, we will produce a better environment, conserving natural resources and ensuring our long-term sustainability.
Capilano Suspension Bridge Park (CSBP) – HIGHLIGHTS
In this section
- CSBP is a member of the Vancouver Sustainability Purchasing Network (www.buysmartbc.com)
- The Bridge House Restaurant is a founding member of Green Tables
- The Bridge House Restaurant and Logger’s Grill are members of the Ocean Wise Seafood program (www.oceanwisecanada.org)
- Currently purchases 10% of its power through BC Hydro’s Green Power Certificates (www.bchydro.com)
- Treetops Adventure won the 2006 APEGBC Environmental Award for Design and Construction
- Participates in the Vancouver Food Bank “food runners” program (www.foodbank.bc.ca)
- Purchases only organic, fair trade coffee
- Purchases only wild BC Salmon
- Committed partner to the GVRD’s zero waste challenge
- Have onsite composting and contracted services for organic waste
- Conducted a lighting audit – conversion to the most energy efficient bulbs and ballasts in 2007
- Wildlife partnerships with the Pacific Salmon Foundation (www.psf.ca), and Raptor’s Ridge
- In the last 3 years have planted 2,000 trees and shrubs in our rainforest
- A comprehensive recycling program that includes:
- Newspaper, office paper, cardboard, tin, glass and plastics
- Refundable beverage containers
- End-of-life E-Waste
- Christmas Lights
- Implemented minimum environmental standards for all departments that include:
- Training all managers and staff on sustainability best practices
- Procurement (purchasing)
- Reducing – energy, water and solid waste
- Have benchmarked environmental performance to ensure improvements are made each year
- Capilano Suspension Bridge Park’s long-term goal is to become a carbon neutral operation
The Capilano Group of Companies is committed to supporting our local community. Being good corporate citizens includes volunteering time to participation local committees, supporting community organizations and charities with resources, sponsoring local festivals and events, donating scholarships, providing venue space for community groups and making Capilano a true partner with the local community.
The Capilano Group of Companies is a leader in the tourism industry in Vancouver and in British Columbia. We participate in many organizations and committees within the industry including Tourism Vancouver, Ministry of Tourism, Vancouver, Coast & Mountains and Council of Tourism Associations of British Columbia (COTA), among many more. Nancy Stibbard is a Past Chair of Tourism Vancouver, founder of COTA and the Vancouver Attractions Group and the driving force behind North Shore Tourism.